Friday, April 23, 2010

up up and away!

The Derby Festival Great BalloonFest began last night with the balloon "glimmer" and tour. The "rush hour" balloon race should take place this morning if it isn't cancelled by rain. (Each year I find myself questioning the wisdom of flying a herd of balloons over rush hour traffic. I'm fairly certain there will be a few traffic accidents attributed to watching the balloons instead of the road.) Tonight they will have the balloon "glow" down at the fairgrounds. (There is a difference between the "glimmer" and the "glow" but for the life of me, I'm not sure what it is. They both look like hot air balloons glowing in the dark.)

Finally, the balloon fest will end with the "great balloon race" (not to be confused with the "balloon tour" and the "rush hour race.") Last year, 34 "hound" balloons chased the "hare" balloon across the county. The object of the race is to drop a bag of bluegrass seed on a giant "X" chosen by the hare balloon. Last years winner came within 11 feet of the target.

2 comments:

annette said...

There is something absolutely fascinating about a hot air balloon. Beautiful.

Angela Baylis said...

I can't believe it's that time of year again! My dream was always to ride in a hot air balloon. I rode one several years ago and it was a lot of fun! I just love them! How are you, Karen? I have missed you!
Much love,
Angie xoxo