Wednesday, March 11, 2009


Lately my life seems to be tied together with random vignettes. So why should today be any different?


We went to the Easter Passion at church last night. There is just something totally cool about sitting in your pew at church and looking up to see a camel plodding past. Or to hear the goats making goat noises up on the stage. (this particular goat seemed to think that he might really be a sacrificial animal.) We watched with great anticipation to see if the dove flew to Jesus this year after his baptism scene. (Last year he--the dove, not Jesus-- ended up landing in the cello section of the orchestra pit. We all cheered inside when he ended up in the right place this year.) The Passion is a mixture of film footage and live onstage action. Using the film footage enables them to add additional scenes that might not be easy to perform live. The whole thing is incredible and well worth seeing. (although they will tell you that it is not appropriate for young children because of the realistic flogging and crucifixion scenes. And I totally agree.) Oh, as another random thought, last year the person who played Satan was the wife of the guy that played Jesus. I think it's the same this year. Which is kind of weird, huh?


I found myself wondering as I watched the "mob" call for Barabbas, if I would have recognized Jesus for who He is if I lived then. I wondered if I would have instinctively known or if it would have taken miraculous signs and wonders to reveal Him to me. Or would I have missed it completely? After His death, would I have lost hope? After His resurrection, would I have believed? I don't know and that realization troubles me somewhat. I also found it interesting to see Satan mingling in and out of the crowd, "invisible"to the human eye, but there stirring up trouble. Something to consider.


On another completely random tangent, how can a person wear his uniform pants and belt home from school and somehow manage to completely misplace the belt? I realize that his room is a gigantic black hole from which nothing is recovered, but still. I would like to think that I would at least remember where I took the silly thing off. Or remember doing it. However, if you were to ask me where my work shoes are, I'm not sure I could tell you. So perhaps he is more like me than I care to admit. And maybe that's why it frustrates me so when he cannot seem to find things. Because there's nothing less attractive than having your less desirable traits mirrored back at you in your children. And I suppose I can be grateful that he didn't take his pants off somewhere and have no idea where he left them.


The clip below is from a bible study called the Easter Experience. It's put together by City on a Hill productions (the dude who plays Jesus) and features one of our pastors and film footage that is in the Easter Passion. I thought it might give you an idea of how part of it looks.




I hope your day is less random than mine! blessings...

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Yay Kyle! Now we really need his autograph.

Anonymous said...

Wow. It never loses its power. I wonder at the plan for us, the pain He endured, the chilling words "It is finished." That's one of the reasons I need Holy Week, to go through the story again and not take one minute of it for granted. It is our story.

Your church must have done an amazing job of the Passion. Thanks for telling us more about your church and all that it does to bring the Light of Christ.

Love,
Annette G

Abba's Girl said...

It is finished...more powerful words were never spoken, Glory to God...

Love, Annette