Wednesday, April 29, 2009

perspective seems to be my favorite word...

Our city is consumed with all things Derby at the moment. Frivolous activities fill our calendar and the rich and famous are descending upon our city to join in the party. Local newscasts are filmed at the Downs and it seems that every story focuses on track side events. The newspaper is a plethora of articles on fun things to do during the seemingly endless celebration. Ordinarily I would be right along with them, chronicling the great bed race, the run for the rose', the great steamboat race, the balloon glow, glimmer and race itself and countless other "party games" that Louisville hosts to make the Derby an unforgettable (and endless) event.

But for some reason, I can't get this out of my mind.

All week I have followed these people as they are halfway around the world, as they work to make a difference in the life of such precious children.

I'm having a difficult time getting past the idea that a place does not name orphaned babies because "the Lord takes so many home."

Or children who don't know what they want to be when they grow up because they can't fathom the idea of growing up.

Children who treasure a page of stickers because it is one of the most prized things they own.

Children who may never hear the words "I love you" from anyone other than their Compassion Sponsor.

It makes it hard to get the party vibe going.

Maybe it's time to shift priorities a bit. That's not to say that I won't be blithering on about the Derby at some point this week, it's just at this moment I'm too busy trying to find some perspective. Too busy praying for these beautiful children.

If you have a moment, take a listen at these girls singing. Hearing the words, "let the weak say I am strong, let the poor say I am rich" gives me goosebumps. Then, if you have the means, would you consider sponsoring one of these children? (there were 429 children waiting for sponsors on Sunday. There are now 317 waiting. Praise God.)

It is not the magnitude of our actions but the amount of love that is put into them that matters. -- Mother Teresa.

2 comments:

Queen B said...

Don't you love it when perspective jumps up and whacks you in the head?

I love your post.

Abba's Girl said...

Great post...I will singing this song all day...

Love, Annette H