Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cover to Cover (a day late but hopefully not an insight short)



I'm back. I kept thinking yesterday that I had all day to gather my thoughts and put together this post. And as you see, today is now yesterday and tomorrow has arrived with no coherent thoughts from me. But I am awake now. Mildly rested from a long Memorial day weekend. So, this is what I've got.



Tuesday is the day that I usually work late, and last week was no exception. I was "in a mood" last Tuesday and it showed. I chose not to take the time to read my Bible before I left for work. (Can you hear the background music indicating "the shark" swimming towards the poor unsuspecting swimmer?) Unfortunately, several other ladies at work were also "in a mood". I'm sure you realize that this is a recipe for disaster. Anyhow, long story short, I chose to say a few things that I shouldn't, feeding an already volatile situation. When I got home and opened my bible to the daily reading, this is what I found.

You unleash your mouth for evil and harness your tongue for deceit. You sit, maligning your brother, slandering your mother's son. Psalm 50:19-20


Ouch.

Tell me that could have been avoided if I had read my bible before going to work. Hopefully this is a lesson learned and I will avoid this trap the next time. You may notice that I used the word "chose" each time I stepped into sin. That is because, in this instance, I ignored the prompting of the Holy Spirit, and willing stepped forward and opened my mouth. I knew that I shouldn't and yet, I did it anyway. Sigh.


God is very clear in what He expects from us. He reminds Solomon (and us) exactly what it is that he (and we) need to do to keep His favor.


As for this temple you are building--if you walk in My statutes, execute My ordinances, and keep all My commandments by walking in them, I will fulfill My promise to you, which I made to your father David. I will live among the Israelites and not abandon My people, Israel. 1 Kings 6:12-13



Then there's this reminder:

Unless the LORD builds a house, it's builders labor over it in vain...Psalm 127:1


I think we can add, "it's builder will also speak when she shouldn't, act when she should be still and so forth." Another reminder of Who I need to keep before me so that I might walk blameless.

I thought Solomon's prayer was beautiful. Here are some of my favorite excerpts from 1 Kings 8:22-53:

LORD God of Israel, there is no God like You in heaven above or on earth below, keeping the gracious covenant with Your servants who walk before you with their whole heart.

  • May You hear in heaven and act
  • May You hear in heaven and forgive
  • May You send rain on Your land
  • May You forgive, and and repay the man, according to all his ways, since You know his heart
  • May You hear in heaven, Your dwelling place, and do according to all the foreigner asks You for
  • May You hear their prayer and petition in heaven and uphold their cause
  • when they return to You with their whole mind and heart
  • May You forgive Your people


Act, hear, forgive, do, uphold....action words on our behalf.



I leave you this week with these words from 1 Kings 8:57-58. May it be the prayer of our hearts.


May the LORD our God be with us as He was with our ancestors; may He never leave us or abandon us. May He give us the desire to do His will in everything and to obey all the commands, decrees, and regulations that He gave our ancestors.


For great insights into the readings from the past week, please look here and here.

3 comments:

Angela Baylis said...

Okay, Ouch- Ouch- Ouch! I needed to stop by here today! I'm glad you waited until today to post this. Since yesterday I have CHOSEN to say and do a lot of things I regret. May I have the DESIRE to listen to the Holy Spirit! Thank God He will never abandon us!
Much love to you,
Angie xoxo

p.s. John's hair grows quickly! :)

annette said...

Your words are certainly not an insight short. I should pray for this tongue, too. Always out of the overflow of the heart, comes the words that reflect my heart's condition--sometimes sans Bible reading time in the morning, too. May we do His will and obey for our own good and that of those generations that follow! Love you,

Annette

connie said...

Ouch and Ouch again after you read that to me the other day... Yes we chose to open our mouths, just like Candice did, But God is a great God and minded the problem between her and her Dad... You are in my prayers...
Connie
GBU