Monday, May 19, 2008

Cover to Cover



This week we came to the end of David's reign over Israel. I always have difficulty with these sections because I have come to love the person (David, Joseph, Moses) so dearly. It's like letting go of a friend. However, I realize that I can go back and visit any time I want. It's just that they keep a piece of my heart.

Once again, I found such beauty and hope in the Psalms.

I long and yearn for the courts of the LORD; my heart and flesh cry out for the living GOD.
Psalm 84:2

Let me experience Your faithful love in the morning; for I trust in You. Reveal to me the way I should go, because I long for You.
Psalm 143:8

Then, there were two clear admonitions that spoke to me:

Now determine in your mind and heart to seek the LORD your GOD.
1 Chronicles 22:19

As for you, Solomon my son, know the GOD of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands the intention of every thought. If you seek Him, He will be found by you, but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.
1 Chronicles 28:9

Not just my every thought, but the intention of every thought. That is truly humbling to me, because although some of my thoughts and plans may be good, their intention may be to praise myself or make myself look good.

I'll finish this week with portions of Psalm 25:

To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;
in you I trust, O my God.
Do not let me be put to shame,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.

No one whose hope is in you
will ever be put to shame,
but they will be put to shame
who are treacherous without excuse.

Show me your ways, O LORD,
teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.

Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love,
for they are from of old.

Remember not the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you are good, O LORD.

Good and upright is the LORD;
therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
He guides the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way.

All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful
for those who keep the demands of his covenant.

For the sake of your name, O LORD,
forgive my iniquity, though it is great.
Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD ?
He will instruct him in the way chosen for him.
He will spend his days in prosperity,
and his descendants will inherit the land.

The LORD confides in those who fear him;
he makes his covenant known to them.
My eyes are ever on the LORD,
for only he will release my feet from the snare.

Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart have multiplied;
free me from my anguish.

Look upon my affliction and my distress
and take away all my sins.
See how my enemies have increased
and how fiercely they hate me!

Guard my life and rescue me;
let me not be put to shame,
for I take refuge in you.

May integrity and uprightness protect me,
because my hope is in you.



For insights into this weeks reading, check this, this, this and this out. Peace to you this week, my friends.

4 comments:

annette said...

I, too, found myself sad to say goodbye to David. I love that David, Joseph, and Moses were not perfect, but simply acknowledged their God's Greatness in every circumstance. I have loved the Psalms in context with David's life. Your words always encourage me. Love to you, Annette

annette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annette said...

For some reason, I always hit publish twice and mess it up. I am so sorry. I'm looking really silly. EGR-Extra Grace Required... :)

Angela Baylis said...

"Let me experience Your faithful love in the morning; for I trust in You. Reveal to me the way I should go, because I long for You."
Psalm 143:8

Karen, I forgot about this one... oh, so good! I also have concerns that it's all about me... and I hope my intentions are to Glorify Him, and not me!

Another week of great insights!
Thanks for sharing!
Love, Angie xoxo