Sunday, September 21, 2008

cover to cover: fascinated





I will confess to being a little out of sorts this past week. There have been many many different things going on here including (but not limited to) a major power outage. It's amazing how being "out of pocket" can destroy your concentration and routine. So...for the rest of you that do Cover to Cover...my expectations are high for you to fill me in on whatever I've been too distracted to see. (no pressure!)

There is this one thing though. And it ties rather neatly into my week. Or maybe it would be better to say that it convicted me about my week.

I was fascinated at the number of times Ezra and Nehemiah referenced "the hand of the LORD was on them." And to be perfectly honest, a little bit jealous as well. I want the Hand of the LORD on me as I go about my day. Then I noticed this:


This was because Ezra had determined to study and obey the Law of the Lord and to teach those decrees and regulations to the people of Israel. Ezra 7:10


I bet Ezra didn't get out of sorts when things weren't quite ordinary. I'm pretty sure that he didn't allow life to distract him from his task at hand, which was to "study and obey the Law of the Lord." So just perhaps the next time life throws me a curve ball, hopefully I will grab ahold of His Hand, and allow Him to lead me along the path.


You're blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God. You're blessed when you follow his directions, doing your best to find him. That's right—you don't go off on your own; you walk straight along the road he set. You, God, prescribed the right way to live; now you expect us to live it. Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set; Then I'd never have any regrets in comparing my life with your counsel. I thank you for speaking straight from your heart; I learn the pattern of your righteous ways. I'm going to do what you tell me to do; don't ever walk off and leave me. Psalm 119:1-8


7 comments:

Angela Baylis said...

Starting this moment, I am going to surrender again to the truth that I am blessed when I stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by Him. It's too hard to go it alone! I just LOVE His word! Thanks for sharing this with me today. I pray this week is better for you, too!
Love you,
Angie xoxo

Anonymous said...

"Comparing my life with Your counsel..." I'm right there wanting the course He's set, but evidently not enough. Your heart shines through in difficulty, your message is inspired. Love you, Annette

Abba's Girl said...

Great post!

Love, Annette

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Karen, I just posted on someone's blog and I can't remember whose how blown away I was at the number of times Ezra said that God's hand was on their lives. And it caused them to fast and pray all the more. It was a beautiful word for me confirmed by you. Just love your insight and tender heart!

Michelle V said...

What a beautiful post! I also was fascinated by all the references to the Hand of God being on them! I am with you in trying to walk with God and stop trying to go off on my own and letting circumstances distract me! Thank you for sharing!

Blessings
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Wow...you may have gotten behind but you definitely packed a mighty punch for this one that did not read much of last week's reading...thank you Karen...I really needed to hear/read that...I am in the Lord's hand...I am determined to study and ovey His Law...

Bless you...and thank you so much for your prayers.

Helen

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Fascinated...still fascinated over that thought...