Tuesday, October 21, 2008

a tale of two titles...

There are two things rolling around in my head this morning that I am just dying to share. (because my life is so exciting!) Hence the quandary over two titles. Since I have shamed Mrs. McKeehan (my high school English teacher) many times during my forays into blogdom, I'm not even going to try and follow whatever rules and restrictions go along with writing coherent papers. I'm just going to lay these puppies out there and let you make of them what you will.

title number one: Whirlpool is having trouble with their water heaters. Ask me how I know. Go on, ask me. Because apparently there's some part or something very important in certain models of water heaters that FAIL causing the pilot light to refuse to stay lit. Ask me how I know. At this very moment I am trying to convince myself that words like "invigorating" and "polar bear plunge" are positive, affirming words. Words like "bathing in the freezer must be good for your skin" or "what a lovely glow you have about you this morning. (never mind that blue really isn't your color...)" I'll bet you've guessed by now that we have NO hot water. Since Sunday night at 10 p.m. And due to Whirlpool having trouble with their water heaters, the water heater repair people are VERY busy. However, a lovely water heater repair person will be making his way to my house this morning, where he will be greeted with balloons, confetti and a ticker tape parade (not to mention a trumpet fanfare and maybe a piece of pie.) We want him to feel appreciated.

title number two: Fall comes to LifeWay

We wear uniforms at LifeWay. Day in and day out. Year in and year out. Little burgundy shirts and happy khaki pants or skirts. Every day. Never changing. I personally wear khaki skirts with my little burgundy shirt. I (almost) never wear pants. I have four of the same style skirt (ordered online because I am tall and skirts are not long unless you order tall.) I wear them in the spring, in the summer, in the fall and in the winter. I always look the same. (except sometimes a little thinner and sometimes a little thicker. Or sometimes my hair is up and sometimes it is down.) All in all, I never look different. (As a matter of a fact, we all look the same.) There's only one thing that's ever different. And it's how we know that fall has come to LifeWay.

It's the changing of the shoes.

During the spring and summer I wear "not sandals."

Really, they are not. No toes show. So they can't be sandals.

Because we aren't supposed to wear sandals.

And during the fall and winter, I wear hiking boots. With socks. (I know you are so excited by this information.) And I've decided that I will be expressing my individuality with my socks this fall. Because there are no rules governing what color socks we wear. Just the color of our shirts, skirts, belts and shoes.

Anyway, yesterday was the first "wearing of the boots." Because Fall is here. (It must be. Because I wore the boots. Circular logic, gotta love it.)


So if you ever need to know what season it is, just stop by my LifeWay store and take a look at my feet.

6 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

When we lived at our old house, there was one bathtub that would NEVER give you enough hot water. It was a very old house, and quite tempermental. If you wanted a bath in that bathtub, you had to enjoy freezing, or else (if you were my mother, when she had to live with us for a while) you boiled water and poured it into the freezing water, then took a really fast bath before it cooled off. I can only imagine the joy of having to do this every day for any amount of time. You have my sympathies. :o)

Jessi said...

Kelli and I were just discussing your hiking boots the other day.

I won't tell you what we said, though. ^_^

Abba's Girl said...

Well...after an invigorating shower which surely prepares you for the polar bear plunge you must wear socks and hiking boots to warm up your feet...

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

I can not deal with cold water...period!!! I use much more hot water than my hubby does, so we have to space our shower times so that we aren't taking them back to back....

The next time I'm in Lifeway, I'll check out your boots......
ummmmm.....

Which Lifeway?!?!? :-)

Angela Baylis said...

I was SO sure I was going to scroll down here to find a picture of those boots with your socks! I mean, really... how are we supposed to get the full picture without a picture? I'm sure Mrs. McKeehan would approve! I hope by now you've had a hot shower and a piece of pie. You couldn't possibly let the repair guy eat alone. It's rude! :)
Love you,
Angie xoxo

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I have the full picture. See what happens when I miss a day around here? I am lost as a goose.
I don't know if I could bear a cold shower, especially when it's--COLD. Glad you have some warm boots.

Um, could I come over and try to fix your hot water heater for some pie?

Love, Annette