Friday, May 22, 2009

perhaps...

...you might have noticed in my twitter sidebar that I was frustrated this morning. You will be happy to know that I did not spit. Nor did I scream. Or beat a certain child about the head and shoulders with a stick. Although, for the sake of full disclosure, I did consider all three. And perhaps a few other options as well. This is my story.

Picture it.

The last day of school.

Only four hours of "classes."

Finals are done. Grades are posted.

Today was the final celebration to finish out the school year. The boy has been distracted this semester. Perhaps it's his preoccupation with a certain girl. Perhaps it's the stupid Xbox Live. Perhaps it's because classwork interferes with his social calendar. I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I have monitored his grades (through Power School) for weeks, nagging about papers and tests and projects.

We have sweated bullets over a certain math grade. (He passed.)

This morning, I got up and just randomly checked grades to see if his history final had been posted. It had not. However, his English grade had dropped.

To an unacceptable level.

On the last day of school.

With four hours of celebration. Argh!

After yanking him out of bed, I sat him down in front of the power school page and asked for an explanation for the three (THREE!) missing items in this class.

Let me clue you in on something, "I have no idea what that paper is" is not the appropriate response when I'm asking about a missing English paper.

On the last day of school.

With four hours of classes.

When finals are done and grades are posted. Argh!

So, this afternoon when he got home from his final day of school, he wrote a paper and emailed it to his English teacher. (We're thankful that she is compassionate and understanding. Or perhaps she just doesn't want him in her class again next year.) We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Angela Baylis said...

I've been wondering what's up and having been checking on twitter to see if you wrote anything. I'm sorry it's Sunday night and I'm just reading this. I SO understand getting a little (A LOT) upset with him! I remember those days. You are a good parent for caring enough to get mad!
On the last day of school.
With four hours of classes.
When finals are done and grades are posted. Argh!
Parenting is hard! Thanks for the update!
Love you,
Angie xoxo