Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I don't think I'll miss winter...

It looks like a tornado came through...
Currently, 100,000 homes are without power. They are estimating 7 to 10 days before everything is back on line. 54 schools are also without power so classes have been cancelled for the rest of the week. We currently have 5800 downed power lines and expect more in the days ahead. This is the second largest power outage in Kentucky's history. The number one outage was four months ago with Hurricane Ike.


Evening driving can be treacherous because you come upon things like this. A tree that is no longer where it is supposed to be. With street lights and traffic lights out, it makes it harder to see stuff like this. (and some silly people who stop the car to take pictures might happen to find their tires spinning when they try to drive off because that part of the street has not been treated. Silly people. Who probably won't do that again.) Josh and I will be venturing out this evening to pick Jessi up from work. They are keeping the libraries open regular hours to allow people without power a place to go til nine. Which is a great, compassionate idea. Unless you are a mom of a library employee. Who worries about her daughter driving in these conditions after dark.

For some reason, this photo fascinates me. I think it's because this little weed thing is determined to survive, no matter what nature throws it's way. Either that or there's a tiny alien trapped under the snow with only his dealy-bobbers sticking out.
(or perhaps the weather is beginning to affect my brain.)

4 comments:

Abba's Girl said...

Sorry for the harsh conditions but I love the pics...and I still want snow...Ike damage around here would look much better covered in white...

Karen said...

That's true. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as fascinated if everything weren't covered in a layer of snow and ice. It is almost painful to look at some of the damage though. A lot of these trees are older than I am. (which Josh says makes them ancient.)

Angela Baylis said...

That's the coolest picture of the weeds I've ever seen! Wow! I hope life gets back to normal soon for you guys! Our Winter is just getting started! I think you should come north!
Drive safely, friend!
Love,
Angie xoxo

The Wizard said...

California may not have much in the way of seasons (brutal heat and fog being the 2 primary), but we don't have to contend wit the snow and ice unless we really want to. I feel for. ya' sister

~the Wizard