Sunday, January 6, 2008

A new beginning

Well, tomorrow is the big day. My first real day back to work after two months of medical leave. I am excited to be "well" enough to go back to my normal routine but I will miss my days of being a stay-at-home wife and mom. I have determined that I will do some things differently as I start this new chapter in my life.

1. I will continue with my daily devotions, prayer time, and scripture reading even though it means getting up earlier.
2. I will go to bed earlier at night so I can get up earlier.
3. I will be better organized before I go to bed so that the mornings will go smoother.
4. I will continue to fix family meals three nights a week. (That's what slow cookers and better planning is for.)
5. I will have a schedule for laundry and housework so that it doesn't all pile up at the end of the week.
6. I will still make time to play video games with my fifteen year old son and dream wedding dreams with my nineteen year old daughter.
7. I will always love my husband.

I'm sure that there will be more things added and knowing me, I am sure that I will want to take some things off the list too. This has been a good time for me. (Maybe not "good time" as in fun, though.) I've learned how to be still. I think if my surgery had gone the way that it normally does, I would have been up and running around and would have missed out on some life lessons. The whole internal bleeding thing really has been a blessing. I learned to be still because I had no choice. I learned how much I am cared for because every time I tried to do anything, I got fussed at or over. I learned (the hard way) that when I tried to do something, it made my husband feel as if I was saying he couldn't take care of me. People voluntarily came and sat with me to make sure I didn't fall and hit my head. Or whatever it is that people with blood loss do. They brought meals, they transported my son, they did laundry, cared for our zoo, and they cleaned my house. While I sat and learned to be still.

I sat and read countless blogs written by women who are trying to be the women that God would want them to be. They have inspired me to be a better wife, mother, and child of God. They have made me laugh and made me cry. And I hope, as I return back to work, that I will be returning a better wife, mother, and child of God. So I guess tomorrow is my new year. And I am excited.

1 comment:

annette said...

Hope your day at work went smoothly and you are not too tired. Quite an ambitious list you have, so don't be too hard on yourself. Remember the lessons to be still sometimes. I, too, have been there, and it is so hard to sit still and heal. So many lessons. Your comment on my post today struck home with me as one who deals with anxiety/panic. If you ever need someone to visit with about it, let me know. It must appear so nonsensical at times, to others watching. And the part that bothers me the most is that it is not reasonable. And I love reason. Hopefully, you all are doing well. You are in my prayers this day. Blessings, annie
tried to post--hopefully this didn't duplicate...