Thursday, January 31, 2008

swimsuit edition

There seems to be a great deal of conversation lately about swimsuits. At least it seems to be a topic amongst three or four people I know anyway. So I have decided to "weigh in" on this issue. I'm guessing that most people want to think about swimsuits because the weather is either a) extremely cold b) grey c) wet d) or all of the above. I must confess, however, that the last new swimsuit I bought was in the spring of 1997 while I was in the midst of a (successful) journey through first place and dh and I were heading to Hawaii for our tenth anniversary. I don't want you to get the impression that I still have my "first place" shape (that would involve giving up sugar for life) or that the swimsuit still fits (it does with a lot of pushing and shoving and rearranging and lack of breathing), but it would be more accurate to say that I don't go out in a swimsuit anymore. Except for in the hot tub. In our backyard. After dark. With dh only. But lately it has been difficult (read uncomfortable) to even slip (think "stuff") into the old suit and go out after dark. Dh thought he was being helpful and sensitive when he suggested that I go out a buy a new suit. I think after twenty years of marriage he has developed a mental block about swimsuits, three way mirrors and cellulite. Or leftover baby fat. (and yes, we all know, thanks to previous posts, that said baby will be sixteen in a matter of days. What can I say? I never throw anything away.) Anyway, I told dh that I would just slip (think "stuff") into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. After all, it's dark. And it's my backyard. And no one else is there but him. But all this has gotten me to thinking. I wouldn't mind having a swimsuit body. (I started to say "again" but I'm not sure I ever qualified for a swimsuit body. Even when I weighed 120. To put it delicately, my pregnacies increased more than just my weight.) I'm just not sure I want to work for it. And to be perfectly honest, after reading big mama's post today, I feel her pain. And she has my admiration. Because I just don't want a swimsuit body that badly. So I will probably wander around, eating my sugar, and waiting for this to come back in style.

1 comment:

Queen B said...

I don't want to want to look good in a swimsuit. But unfortunately, peer pressure is not only reserved for our children. And by "look good" I mean only a moderate amount of cellulite and fewer rolls than I currently possess. My standards lower each year.