Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What would you do?

Lindsey at enjoy the journey asked what we would do to stimulate the economy if we receive rebate checks from the government. I answered that we would probably pay medical bills since we seem to make a hobby out of collecting them. I'm not sure if spending it to pay down debt really stimulates the economy. I guess to some degree it must, because you would be freeing up funds by paying off debt. Of course, the responsible thing to do would be to bank the excess money so that you would be prepared the next time someone had to have an unexpected hysterectomy. (since my tonsils grew back and had to be removed twice, I suppose there might be some basis for my concern that other organs might regenerate as well. If that were truly the case though, I suppose I could sell my story to the supermarket tabloids and make a few bucks. Or put the offending extra organ for sale on ebay. Assuming the doctors would give it to me. But I digress.)

Anyway, if I were to be totally irresponsible with eight hundred dollars, I might take a trip to Disney World. Or buy some purses. Or buy a bunch of books. Or get my nails done twenty times. Or buy cheese fries more times than my little brain can calculate without the help of a machine. Or I could get a puppy. (Nope, no more puppies.) Or I could do some combination of the above. I suspect dh would want another tv. A bigger one. Not that the one we have isn't big enough. It's just that dh is a guy (thank goodness!) and more electronics seem to be a guy thing. Something about plasma (isn't that a blood thing?) hd (isn't that dh in reverse?) and a bunch of other stuff (1080? a house number? street address?) that makes no sense to me.

However, since we seem to be in the "responsible" phase of our lives, I suspect that we will pay down our medical debt and be grateful for the blessing of extra money. What would you do to "stimulate" the economy?

2 comments:

Momala said...

We would probably pay down debt too. I'm sure we'd go out to eat to celebrate the big windfall first. But you never know, my husband has his eye on a plasma tv too.

Anonymous said...

I think I would buy a new TV that isn't in the 20th century like my current one. Kinda looks like an ICU patient with all kinds of tubes and wires and blinky things attached to it to make it respond to todays marvels of DVDs and digital cable. I may also buy a couple of things for my home like some kitchen bar stools and a new floor lamp--or I if I have a pet by then, I could buy him/her something special as well. Let's see--I do think they said that even the lowest income people would get checks also right? There's hope for me then!!

I'll just be grateful for whatever should come my way!