Monday, March 10, 2008

Cover to Cover


I am reading through the Bible this year (chronologically) at engage the journey. At the beginning of each week, there is a recap of the scriptures at annie's eyes, bev's blog, Ang's blog, and at Girlfriends in God. (Patty hasn't posted hers as of this blogging, but I will correct the link once she does.)


Although my thoughts are not as poetic or insightful as the ones that you might find at the above blogs, here's the two things that struck me this week.
Then they got up early the next morning and went to the top of the range of hills. “Let’s go,” they said. “We realize that we have sinned, but now we are ready to enter the land the Lord has promised us.” Numbers 14:40
The Israelites had just angered God once again. This time they questioned whether or not Canaan could truly be theirs. God pronounces His sentence. They will not enter the promised land. Instead, they will wander about the wilderness for forty years. And the next day, the Israelites shrug their shoulders, say, "oh well," like nothing ever happened. Like God had never spoken. Like there was no consequence for their sin. I don't know that I ever noticed this before. But it sure reminded me of me. And how many times I'm willing to proceed forward, overlooking my sin. Treating it like it's an "oopsie" instead of an act of willful disobedience.
The other verse was Numbers 15:39 when the Lord was giving Moses instructions.
When you see the tassels, you will remember and obey all the commands of the Lord instead of following your own desires and defiling yourselves, as you are prone to do.
I found the "as you are prone to do" part humbling. My God knows me (and us) so well. It makes me wish that tassels were still in style. Perhaps if I had a constant, before my eyes every moment of the day reminder, I might remember and obey so much better.
Please, take a moment and check out what Annette, Bev, Ang and Patty have to say this week. I promise you'll be blessed!

3 comments:

Angela Baylis said...

Hi, Karen! I loved your insights. I hate to admit that I so the same with my sins... "Treating it like it's an 'oopsie' instead of an act of willful disobedience"! That hurts to even type, but unfortunately it is true too many times. About the tassels: Have you done Beth Moore's Believing God? I don't want to spoil it, but that was the first study I did. You should do it! I think you'd like it!

Thank you so much for linking to my blog. You are too sweet! Thank you also for sharing YOUR great insights!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

Nise' said...

Karen, that was very insightful! I love learning more truth by reading what others did not miss! God is so good.

I second what Ang said about Believing God. It is awesome!

annette said...

Boy, Karen, your thoughts really hit me betweent the eyes. I think our society encourages us to discount sin, and just see God as the friend, the forgiver, the great gift giver. I have even called my own sin "sickness" and I know better. I pick up and go on like nothing happened.
Great post and reflection, Karen, and concise! You get to the point much better than I could this week. Thanks sharing your convictions that have now become my own as well. Love, A