Sunday, March 23, 2008

cover to cover







I have to throw this out before we get down to the Bible recap. I'm writing this on Easter Sunday afternoon and it is SNOWING! Big giant sized flakes. I'm not sure how I feel about this recent development.



Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.



I think, for me, there was a sense of sadness in this week's reading. Partly from my knowing that Moses is ending his journey with us and partly because he knows that they are going to rebel. He knows that all these horrible things are going to happen to Israel. I think it would be difficult for me to leave (as if I had a choice) knowing the future that awaited the nation that I had been responsible for, had loved and prayed over. Because regardless of how frustrated he became with them, he loved them.



The one thing that I think the Lord is working with me about right now is "obedience." Most the verses that touch my heart are about obeying.



The LORD will again delight in you and make you prosperous, just as he delighted in your fathers, if you obey the LORD your God and keep his commands and decrees that are written in this Book of the Law and turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 30:9b-10



Is that not a promise we want to keep? To have the Lord delight in us? Oh, my heart sings at the thought of being so pleasing to my Father that He delights in me! And in all honesty, having Him delighted in me is reward enough.



Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. Deuteronomy 30:11



He knows me too well. The answer to the question/complaint that I haven't voiced yet. "I can't do that, it's too hard!"



No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it. Deuteronomy 30:14



One thing I've felt this year is that I need to memorize and carry in my heart more of His word. (of course, it's March and I'm not telling how far I've gotten on this...)



For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess. Deuteronomy 30:16



If ever I needed a blueprint for what God expects of me, I think this is it. It pretty much covers everything.



Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you. Deuteronomy 31:8



What a beautiful promise. And the cool thing is that Joshua already knows this. He's been Moses's right hand man this whole time. He knows who God is and that God means what He says. May we have the same assurance in our day to day walk.


I also love the fact that we finished the week up with Moses's song and a Psalm. I'll leave you with this final thought.


Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom. Psalm 90:12


As always, if you want to be blessed with words by those who can explain it so much better than I do, check out what Annette, and Bev have to say. Also, please lift Bev up in prayer. She is having difficulties with a broken toe and severe back pain.


Blessings!


2 comments:

annette said...

Isn't it always amazing to see that God delights over us? I have a hard time conceiving that. What a beautiful picture and such life giving words this week. You have so many treasures! I like the thought of a blueprint for our lives--my dad was an architect and builder and I still smell ammonia at the sound of that word, and picture all the details and revelation of a plan--His perfect one for our lives. You write with a sweet heart for Him. Love, A

Angela Baylis said...

Hi, Karen. I was looking forward to having a minute to myself so I could come over to read what lingered for you. You always take exactly what I need to hear. I too, would love to have the Lord delight in me and I want to be obedient to Him. Thank you for sharing with us. I hope to get back on track here soon.

Have a nice Tuesday. I want to read your next post, but I first had to know what you had to say about our chronological readings. I am honored to read with you!
Love,
Angie xoxo