Thursday, March 27, 2008

My goodness, there has been much bloggity fodder around the heigh-ho house in the last 24 hours.

With the arrival of spring-like weather, it becomes necessary to remove the multitude of layers we've swaddled ourselves in. After the removal of said layers, it's time to assess one's winter "stores". (Insert "fat" for the word "stores".) It appears, in my case, that I must have been anticipating a winter of epic proportion, because I have "stores" (insert "fat" again) left over. It's always an awkward moment to actually view what's underneath the 47 layers of sweat clothing and long underwear. Only this year, I think that perhaps it wasn't really 47 layers of fabric, but more like 2 or 3 layers of clothing and 44 layers of me.

Sigh.

Thus, along with the arrival of the first crocus and the sighting of the first robin, comes the first dreaded uncovering of the recumbent bike. (In the interest of being completely honest, I must confess that while I am writing this, I am eating a chocolate poptart and drinking a glass of grape koolaid. Because they are nutritious and low in calories.)

As a person who was born skinny and stayed skinny until she got married and birthed those babies, I hate to diet. Part of this may be because I think I am still 16 (not!) and I could always eat anything I wanted (interpret this to read Outback cheese fries) and I never gained weight. But those days are gone. Sigh.

All that said, I am still at the stage where I prefer to whine about my weight as opposed to actually doing anything about it. So, while I might climb on the bike while watching Dancing with the Stars (it is a two hour show. Surely I can ride for ten minutes while the dancers work out so hard.), I am most likely going to be clutching a book in one hand and a cupcake in the other while I get my exercise. (Hey, at least I won't be gaining any weight this way. And no, I don't want to know how many hours I'd have to ride to work off the calories from that cupcake!)

So, how about you? Did you "save up" more this winter than you "used up"? If so, what are you going to do about it?

6 comments:

Momala said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like they should still be 16 and skinny! I am planning on trying to lose weight this spring (I even have a weight loss ticker on my blog) but it's hard when there is leftover Easter candy in the house. The Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are calling my name.

annette said...

I am so with you, Karen. Since I'm tall too, I have gotten away with too much most of my life. Never one to diet (and miss chocolate poptarts) I find my muffin top isn't ready for spring. I exercised the last two mornings. It's a start. SO glad to see you online this morning. Wishing you the joys of spring and His Love, Annette

Queen B said...

I wish I knew...

I am considering the purchase of a treadmill. It is too hard to consistently walk outside when my daughter is home all day...

Yesterday, I discovered that short sleeves are not my friend.

connie said...

LOL Karen, I think I just may have to keep my layers on, I don't want to look at whats there it is to scary... For me I am not tall and you know that but I was skinny until after I had Candice, then the pounds started to creep on... When I graduated from High School I was 103 I so wan to see at least 125 again... So this is it I am going to start moving this body more than what I do at work... Karen thanks again for the reminder to read this and to get started on my workouts...
I will let you know how it goes...
Connie

Angela Baylis said...

On January 1st I decided to add another blog (secretly) so I could track my progress. I called it, "Muffin Tops and Suzie Q's". Do you remember those Suzie Q's? Life was good back then. I gave up sweets during Lent this year and guess what? Nope, didn't lose a pound or an inch off of my waistline! Aren't you glad you asked? I like how you call it, "Stores".

I MUST get on my elliptical machine tomorrow.
Love,
Angie

p.s. How about Psalm 90? I still haven't looked it up!

Anonymous said...

"bloggity fodder" is my new favorite two words.
perhaps we should eat some vegetables once every few years or so and also throw out said poptarts and grape koolaid. ahem.