Friday, March 28, 2008

Ivan the terrible

Ivan is our oldest dog. He is one of two Yorkies that lives here and he will be eleven in July. I have noticed that the older he gets, the more he grumbles and complains. (Not unlike other people I know) He is very possessive and protective. Everything in the house that he wants, belongs to him.

Bring in a new bag of dog food and set it down? It belongs to him.

Any one of the five dog food bowls? They all belong to him.

People? His.

Toys? His.

He continually takes on the bigger dogs for anything he feels they are doing wrong. (Although I suspect they see him as some kind of squeak toy that they can play with.)

Ivan also likes to protect me from things that he thinks might want to harm me. If my in-laws come over? Bark bark bark. Never mind the fact that he has seen them thousands of times and they have yet to kidnap, maim or otherwise harm me.

Prince Charming drops by? Bark bark bark.

Heaven help the mailman when he drops off a package. You'd think it was Satan himself, ringing my doorbell.

This morning at about 3 am, Ivan decided that I needed protecting again.

From the thunder.

Sigh.

Rumble, rumble rumble. Bark, bark bark.

Can I just say that it thundered for about two hours? Bark, bark, bark.

I'll be picking up a very LARGE Mountain Dew on my way to work this morning. And my little Yorkie? I'm sure he'll be sleeping the day away. After all, he was up all night protecting his mommy from the big bad thunder. That way he'll be nice and rested in case it returns again tonight.

3 comments:

Momala said...

Is this something that is more common with male dogs? We have a 2 1/2 yo male schnoodle, and he acts like this too. He barks at everything, he is quite protective of me (he doesn't like when my husband hugs me) although we haven't had him bark at thunder yet. He is absolutely awful with other dogs. We have been thinking of getting another dog, but we are worried about what this dog would do to it!

Angela Baylis said...

You just brought back a memory of our dog, Emily. She also used to hate storms and was a nervous wreck! I hope you are able to get a better night of sleep tonight!
Have a good weekend.
Love,
Angie xoxo

connie said...

I can just see Ivan protecting you...
Have a great week end and I hope your shoulders and neck starts to feel better soon...
Connie