Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cover to Cover


We finished the book of Numbers and moved into Deuteronomy this week on our journey. This week's reading began with a truly beautiful account of God's provision for His people. I love how Moses reminded Israel of how much God loved and cared for them.


There was one recurring theme that kept running through the verses that caught my eye this week.


Remember that the Lord rescued you from the iron-smelting furnace of Egypt in order to make you his very own people and his special possession, which is what you are today.
Deuteronomy 4:20


For you are a holy people, who belong to the Lord your God. Of all the people on earth, the Lord your God has chosen you to be his own special treasure.
Deuteronomy 7:6


But they are your people and your special possession, whom you brought out of Egypt by your great strength and powerful arm.
Deuteronomy 9:29


I take great delight in being thought of as God's special treasure or possession. I struggle sometimes with feelings of worthlessness and these verses this week were a beautiful reminder of how God views me.



...And if you search for him with all your heart and soul, you will find him.
Deuteronomy 4:29


...people do not live by bread alone; rather, we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.
Deuteronomy 8:3


And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you? He requires only that you fear the Lord your God, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul. And you must always obey the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.
Deuteronomy 10:12-13


Be careful to obey all these commands I am giving you. Show love to the Lord your God by walking in his ways and holding tightly to him.
Deuteronomy 11:22


I thought these were all very clear commands of how we are to live our lives. Do you see how much our God wants us? He desires us to cling to Him. He has chosen us! He wants us to search for Him. As we enter this holy week, leading to the resurrection, I can think of no better way to please Him than to walk in His ways and hold tightly to Him. May this be the desire of our hearts.


For truly heartfelt and poetic renderings of this past weeks readings, please stop by and check out what Annette, Bev, Nise' and Ang have to say. And if you'd like to join us on our journey, stop by here and let Kate know. We'd love to have you!

3 comments:

annette said...

I am so blessed to be walking with you as we walk in His ways, holding tightly to Him. I, too, was so blessed with being chosen, his treasured possession. He loves you so, Karen. It shows in each word you write for His glory. Love you, Annette

connie said...

Thank you Karen

Angela Baylis said...

I am so honored to study the Bible with you! You always seem to remind me to cling to Him and I appreciate that. Thank you for encouraging me always. Have a great day!
Love,
Angie xoxo