Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Me and Oswald

Or is it Oswald and me? Anyway, I am a fan of Oswald Chambers. Actually, it took me twenty years to get into him (or understand him) but now we are tight. We don't always see eye to eye, but he usually says something worth listening to. I thought I would share what Oswald has to say to us today.

This devotion is titled "Abraham's Life of Faith". Mr. Chambers (Oswald sounds too familiar) contends that Abraham's life is an example of faith. He says,"Living a life a faith means never knowing where you are being led. But it does mean loving and knowing the One who is leading." He goes on to say, "The final stage in the life of faith is the attainment of character, and we encounter many changes in the process. We feel the presence of God around us when we pray, yet we are only momentarily changed. We tend to keep going back to our everyday ways and the glory vanishes. A life of faith is not a life of one glorious mountaintop experience after another, like soaring on eagles wings, but is a life of day in and day out consistency; a life of walking without fainting." He goes on to say that Abraham lived this kind of life, citing Romans 4:3 "Abraham believed God". What simple but powerful words.

My prayer is that my life would reflect a life of faith. One with a day in and day out consistancy. A life of walking without fainting.

But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Blessings to you and yours this Holy week.

2 comments:

annette said...

I love "My Utmost" and appreciate his messages--this one on faith in Him not our circumstances, surely speaks a word to me. Thanks for sharing this--may we not grow weary, trusting in Him and finding new strength. Good word! Love
Annette

Momala said...

I love Oswald Chambers. I should find our copy of My Utmost as I haven't read it in years. I love the idea of a life of day in and day out consistency, it's definitely something I need to work towards.

Thanks for the great post!