Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Can you please pass the common sense?

Well, we had a wonderful adventure at the doctor's office today.

My doctor is so sweet and so kind and will spend all kinds of time talking about whatever ails you. Which is a wonderful thing. Unless you are the person waiting to see him next. Then you want him to hurry up and quit talking to that person so he can come talk to you. Anyhow, I was his second appointment of the day, so things were moving fairly smoothly.

I marched right into that silly weight room, put down my purse, closed my eyes and stepped on the scale. I still have no idea how much they think I weigh. Whatever it was, I am sure that their scale was wrong.

So, then off we went to talk to the doctor. Yippee. I am now the proud owner of five new prescriptions.

Apparently my allergies have morphed into Mr. Sinus Infection and his evil twin, Miss Ear Infection. When you add a few migraines to the mix, you have a lovely new pharmacy bill. The doctor was sitting there, explaining what he was giving me and why when all of a sudden I heard the words, "I'm giving you a steroid, blah blah blah."

I am absolutely serious.

I have no idea what he said after that.

I just kept thinking, "steroids make you gain weight. I don't want steroids. I don't need something to help me gain weight. Do I look like a person who needs to gain weight? What is wrong with this man?"

He could have told me that my arms were going to fall off at six o'clock tonight and I wouldn't have noticed.

I was too busy thinking about this weight thing. I even (briefly) considered "skipping" this prescription. Like I have any idea how to prescribe medication.

It was about that point when I decided that I've become a wee bit too obsessed with this whole weight thing.

Because the important thing would be to eat healthy and be healthy. (and yes, I know I need to work on the "eating healthy" thing. But I need to do it because I want to be healthier, not fashionably thin. Not that I think that fashionably thin is an option. But I digress.)

So, I got my prescriptions filled. And I am going to take them. Because I want to be healthy. (and if I eat healthy most of the time, a little Krispy Kreme donut here or a few cheese fries there won't hurt, right?)

6 comments:

Jessi said...

Krispy Kreme, maybe not. Cheese fries? Definitely. Stop getting them.
There's soymilk in the fridge. It's actually not bad.

annette said...

I recognize that commentator above. :) Five prescriptions--I do recommend you eat with those as they might upset your stomach, so better safe than sorry. Migraines are awful though. We had a bad allergy season here this year, but now we're on to the dog days of summer. Hope you are feeling better very soon. Love, Annette

Abba's Girl said...

I pray you feel better asap.

Momala said...

I hope you feel better!

connie said...

Karen,
I'm sorry you are not feeling well, I hope to see you tomorrow...
Candice asked me to tell you bye and she will miss you...
you are in my prayers...
Connie
GBU

Mocha with Linda said...

This made me laugh, although I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. But the steroid conversation was hilarious.

I could do with some un-steroids myself. . . .