Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Some people are good at some things and some of us are not so gifted in those areas.
The last time I lit the gas grill, The Boy was about four years old. He was standing outside with me while I was lighting it. Suddenly there was a big BOOM and a flash of flame that singed my eyebrows and bangs. The poor child wouldn't go near the grill for months. I wouldn't either for that matter.
Anyhow, I've managed to avoid grill lighting duties for about twelve years. Until this evening. Josh has been encouraging me and had even given me step by step instructions last week about how to light this grill. He assured me that I was more than competent enough to operate the monster living on our deck.
So, I decided to be kind and go ahead and light the silly thing this evening so the potatoes could be cooking while he was on his way home from work.
I had him on the phone, giving me step by step instructions when POOF...a large orange flame shot out, lit the grill and engulfed my hand ever so briefly. I was surprised (to put it mildly.) My eyebrows and bangs are still intact and so is my hand...albeit a little "sunburned". And I'll be on another twelve year grill sabbatical.
Apparently grills are not in my area of giftedness. The Boy told be that he will be lighting it in the future. (Fortunately he's overcome his childhood trauma.) This is fine by me. I'll let the menfolk handle the grilling and I'll sit inside and look blonde. Assuming I can keep from setting my hair on fire.