Monday, June 2, 2008

Cover to Cover: an adventure in Proverbs



Do you ever think about wisdom? I don't know that I think about it overly much. For the most part, I run willy-nilly through my day, dashing hither and yon, putting out fires, starting new ones, tending to things that can't be ignored, ignoring things I hope will go away, and so forth and so on.

I've been wondering lately what exactly I am going to take away from this year when I finish reading through the bible. I know that I will come away with a sense of accomplishment because I finished a task. I'll be glad for the friends I've made on the journey. I'll probably have a better understanding of the bible itself. But I'm not sure that's enough. I think I want more. I want His word stamped so deeply into my heart that my very being shouts of who He is. I want to:

Be careful of what I think because my thoughts run my life. (Prov. 4:23)

To sleep in peace because I hold onto wisdom and good sense. (Prov. 3:21-24)

To keep my eyes focused on what is right, and look straight ahead to what is good. (Prov. 4:25)

To act knowing that the Lord considers my ways and my path. (Prov.5:21)

To use knowledge when I speak and to think before I speak. (Prov. 15:2, 28)

To trust in the Lord and to know that my happiness comes from Him. (Prov. 10:19, 16:20)

To control my temper and be patient. (Prov 16:32)

To forgive those who have sinned against me and then keep my mouth shut about it. (Prov. 17:9)

To not start quarrels. (Prov. 17:14)

And the list goes on. My heart sings within me as I realize that the Father has put all of these treasures before me. And if I hide them in my heart, seek His face, and follow the path He has set before me, I will please Him.

What about you? What do you want to take with you when we finish this year? Will you be a different person? Will you walk closer to Him?



I am at rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I will never be shaken. Rest in God alone, my soul, for my hope comes from Him. (Psalm 62:1,2,5)



3 comments:

annette said...

I'm with you. I want more. More of Him. I love how you can take all that we have read and summarize so succintly, saying the important and heart-felt truths. You have wisdom. And one of the most precious things I will take from the study is the sisterhood of seeking Jesus. You are a gift to me. Love, Annette

Angela Baylis said...

I also want more of Him! I want people to look at me and know there is something different. I want them to see Jesus in me with the love and acceptance that could only come from Him! This is a great question, one that I will think about for the next few days! Thanks again for your kind words regarding my sister!
Much love, friend!
Angie xoxo

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Karen, you did an unbelievably touching job on this. I loved your honest heart. I hope and pray you walk away from God's Word at the end of this year a little more solid in Him, more hungry than ever, and connected to HIM in ways you never imagined. For Titus 1:1 says the Word transforms us...the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness! And you are, and you will be!