Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mary Mary quite contrary...

We are flora and fauna people here at the heigh-ho house. And I am particularly pleased with how our flora is doing this year. (Those silly cicadas don't appear to be harming any plant life although one did try to fly up my nose the other day. I was less than pleased. As a matter of a fact, mildly hysterical might not be too strong a term.)

But I digress. As I was saying, I am very pleased with our plant life and thought that I might share some pictures with you. Because a picture is the next best thing to being there, right?


These roses smell delightful. And they are pretty to look at too.
More calla lilies on my porch. We have an abundance of calla lilies this year. I think it's funny how they start out so white and end up such a deep red. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

A lemon blossom. There's not much that smells better than a lemon blossom. These apparently did not get fertilized this time so they will not be making little lemons (or big ones either) but perhaps we'll have blooms again before fall.

Another Lily. I think this one might be a stargazer Lily. I just know it's orange. And pretty.

Then we have the first of our daylilies. They are trying to take over the world. Or at least our yard. But they'll sure look nice doing it.

The Magnolia tree is blooming as well. There's just something creepy about this picture. I don't know why. But it looks otherworldly to me. Like it's kind of suspended or something. But it really is attached to a tree. Or it was. Now it's a brown looking blob of something that will turn into seed to make other Magnolia trees. (How's that for a scientific explanation?)

A drooping rose. But pretty none the less. I love that color.


And basil. Our basil is growing delightfully this year. But I still don't know what to do with it. I like growing fresh herbs but I am kind of afraid of them. Because I am odd. Mainly I am afraid I will cook some part that I am not supposed to and we will all get deathly ill. But I do like the thought of having an herb garden. So perhaps I'll become brave enough to do something with it.
Thank you for letting me share our gardens with you. I'd take the credit for the flora but my husband is the one with the green thumb (or hand). I just take the pictures. (and try to figure out what to do with the herbs.)


So, what's in your garden?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow your garden is BEAUTIFUL!!!

I have brown thumbs...:(

Anonymous said...

so your post on the 23rd is pretty much excatly what i needed to read. what a perfect visual.
i was touched.
so, thank you.

In Christ,
Amanda Sims

tell Katie A. i'm praying for her. i wrote a post on her blog, but the computer hissedand gave me a fit then erased it.

Abba's Girl said...

Chop up 6 basil and toss in a bowl of 4 diced tomatoes along w/ a pressed garlic bulb, juice from 1 lime, 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, a little pepper and a tablespoon of oilive oil. Serve on garlic or French bread...a great summer meal w/ a green salad or side of spinach.

Cheri said...

Regarding the basil, I was going to say "just eat it on salad greens," but that recipe that Annette posted sounded so yummy I might just make it tonight! I tried to grow herbs this Spring in little pots in my house. They came up, but then just died. I don't know how to get them to grow to a good size. I am soooo the brown thumb!
God Bless!
Cheri

annette said...

How beautiful, Karen. I love all your flowers. What kind of lemon tree do you have. We have a Meyer lemon and it is full of small green balls already. Your garden is beautiful, and basil! I love basil. Do you ever make pesto? It uses a lot of basil. I also have a recipe for a dressing for salad that calls for a cup of leaves, in the blender with the rest of the stuff, if you're interested. You have the "fruits of your labor" in full array. Saying prayers for you this day. Love, Annette

Momala said...

What beautiful flowers!

I happen to have a brown thumb, so I'm lucky to keep Petunias alive.

Sandy said...

Hi Karen, thanks for visiting me!

We have a ton in our garden but I LOVE basil and our strawberry bed is full!

Sandy

Angela Baylis said...

Your flowers are perfect! At first I didn't realize YOU took those pictures! They are so beautiful! My garden is pathetic. I wished I had a green thumb. I usually do pots with Geraniums and have some perennials. I am bummed because we planted some hydrangeas that NEVER flower. I would give anything to have one of your roses (the first one) in a vase in my kitchen!
Love to you tonight,
Angie xoxo

Pat said...

Karen,
I love your BLOG and your garden flowers. I followed your comments from Boo Mama about modesty or lack thereof. Great thoughts.

You might like my fiend's blog @ hoeandshovel.blog.com
Blessings
Pat